Friday, June 24, 2005

Vacation Reading

No one is reading my blog at the moment (they have to know about it before they can read it!) but I feel compelled to post about my vacation reading.

The most interesting thing is that I really don't like first-person fiction. Really don't. There have been rare exceptions over the years, but I have tended to avoid first-person, or at least approach it warily, because I always feel like I'm being told the story instead of living it. That's not the interesting thing. The interesting thing is that I read four very different books this week, all of them were first person, and I loved them all.

In the contemporary "mystery"-slash-humor category, the one I'm just finishing now is Eleven on Top by Janet Evanovich. She's one of those rare exceptions I mentioned. Her humor transcends the first-person stumbling block. This isn't the best book of the series (the masturbating rabbit book was the best) but I am loving the new dynamic with Ranger and have flown through the book in less than two days.

Before that I read the dark futuristic action-adventure romance (my description) Awaken Me Darkly by Gena Showalter. I saved that one so I could savor the anticipation. I loved every minute of it, from the intense sensuality to the intense action to the intense revelation (though I did see it coming--pat me on the back :) ). I'm really looking forward to the next alien huntress book.

Before that was the contemporary paranormal chick-lit Enchanted, Inc. by Shanna Swendson (I think I got her name right). I first heard of this book from Deidre Knight, and it sounded like something I'd like. It was. I can't wait for the next one. I've always liked contemporary paranormals, especially with romance, and though the romance in this book was very fledgling, it still enhanced the story of a woman entering a fascinating new world like whipped cream enhances chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.

The first book I read on vacation was book two of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Very violent and dark, but still fascinating enough for me to head to book three pretty soon. Though I have a huge TBR pile filled with scrumptious choices, including the newest Silhouette Bombshells, two Dee Davises, Julie Leto's Downtown Press book, and dozens more.

7 comments:

Gena Showalter said...

I have heard wonderful things about Jim Butcher, but haven't read him yet. I need to do that.

Latigo Flint said...

Well now someone else is reading, so perhaps it is time for you to post one of your indulgent fiction stories. (Or at the very least, more beefcake photos.)

I really enjoy stories about unlikely friendships that develop between a boy and some sort of woodland creature. (But of course I more or less have the mental capacity of an eight-year-old.)

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Woo hoo, I have readers!

How did you two find me?

Latigo, I checked out your profile/blog, and you're hilarious!

Gena Showalter said...

When you posted on my blog, it gave me a link to you. Or am I thinking of someone else? In that case, I have no idea LOL

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Of course, that would be it. LOL That was part of my intent, even! Sheesh, Natalie. :)

Rene said...

I just started Awaken Me Darkly yesterday and am totally hooked. Unfortunately for me, I'm only allowed to read it at the gym (20 year high school reunion coming up next month)so I can't hide myself in the bathroom and indulge.

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

You are very disciplined. I'm impressed.