Thursday, July 07, 2005

The Apostrophe Epidemic

It’s getting worse, I swear.

It’s annoying, but understandable when people use it’s instead of its. It kind of make’s sense if you don’t think about it.

But the whole, there’s-an-s-at-the-end-so-I-have-to-use-an-apostrophe assumption is driving me BONKER’S.

Driving down the road today, I was behind a tractor trailer. On the back is something like this little gem:

Seeking dedicated, professional drivers and experienced supervisor’s

HOW can ANY professional let their truck’s go out on the street’s like that? Or are they only seeking to attract those driver’s who barely have enough book-larnin’ to read a map? I personally have known many very intelligent truck driver’s, so please don’t think I’m picking on them. I’m picking on the idiot’s in whatever department is in charge of the copy on the back of the truck’s.

Sigh. It’s become so prevalent that you can’t go anywhere or read anything without finding an ’s on a plural word. If you can’t beat them, join them, right?

So I guess I’ll go back and edit thi’s post to make sure all my s’s have apostrophe’s.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, grammar and mechanics nitpicks, so near and dear to my heart!

Here's one that bugs me -- appositives that aren't properly set off by two commas.

I'll shut up now.

MJFredrick said...

My pet peeve, too. I've been trying to beat the habit out of my 5th graders, too. ;)

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

And you deserve a medal for it! Thank you! :)