Sunday, February 26, 2006

Conversation with my Hero

I'm working on revisions of a book I wrote a while ago, after some constructive comments from an agent. It's kicking my a$$. I didn't know the hero very well, so increasing the romance in the book has been a struggle. So the other night I started working on Rogan St. James, actor and target. I started with a magazine-style profile, added comments from colleagues and ex-girlfriends, and morphed into an interview between him-the-character and me-the-author. Here's a tidbit:

Poor me syndrome? Maybe I should never have been born...
No, not anymore. I felt that sometimes, sure. I have an adult’s understanding now, and I am who I am. But I don’t want that for my kids. I don’t want to make the sacrifices my dad made, and I definitely don’t want my kids to.

Do you want kids?
I don’t know. It’s not the kind of profession that goes well with parenting. So I don't think so.

The conflict would be easier if you wanted kids.
So? My job is not to make your job easier.

I thought you just said it was.
Yeah, if you could watch my movies. But you can’t. So let Tom Welling entertain you, and keep trying to figure me out. There are no shortcuts, Natalie.

Pouts.
Silence.

No comments: