Friday, October 13, 2006

P-p-p-p-p-procrastination

I had an idea of what to write here today, and then I was reading the posts on my LJ flist, and it totally disappeared.

So now I'm just procrastinating.

I have a galley to read, and that's, like, my least favorite task as an author. No, it's my least favorite task as a WRITER. Booksignings are my least favorite task. Standing at a table in the mall, begging people to come look at my book, trying to appear friendly and engaging (which I'm not) instead of desperate (which I am)...yeah, not so fun.

Anyway. Galleys. This is a novella, so it's not too long, only 83 pages, but it's a story I wrote, edited twice, proofread, and went through editorial revisions. I don't want to read it again! I tell myself it's okay not to bother, because between my attention and my editor's great eye, there is almost nothing to fix in galley stage. But then I do it anyway, because I must and I'm a good girl who does what she's supposed to, and there's always SOMETHING. Usually five or fewer, but enough to make it worth the time. And honestly, even if it's just one thing, it's worth the time.

So, I guess that's enough procrastination. I am off to do my galley.

Oh, and check out the status bar on the right! I actually finished on October 2 and kept forgetting to update my status bar.

4 comments:

Erica Orloff said...

Signings are my least favorite, too.

E

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

That kind of surprises me, Erica. You seem like you'd be one of those authors who effortlessly draws people in to chat. :)

Erica Orloff said...

Hi Natalie:
I don't have a problem drawing people in or chatting with strangers--it LOOKS effortless. BUT, deep down inside, I can chat with strangers a lot easier if it's not in a "forced" situation like a signing (e.g., I can go to a cocktail party knowing NO ONE and make ten new acquaintances . . .). It feels so outside my comfort zone and my INNER DORK emerges!!!
E

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I can totally understand that. Except I can't do the cocktail parties, either. :) I'm a wallflower, and it's so painful I don't do either anymore.