Monday, March 19, 2007

It's Not ONLY About Me

I tend to post pretty frivolous things on this blog. I don't feel badly about that, because it IS my blog. But other, more worthy things fall by the wayside.

I was a little bored tonight and went to the NaNoWriMo site. And I found this.

Back in November when I did NaNo (for those who don't know, it's National Novel Writing Month, and the goal is to write a whole book in 30 days, which I did), I donated a nominal amount at the time, because...well, because it was all about me, and that reality included vastly lowered income since I'd quit my day job. And the holidays were coming, as well as Oil-Sucking Season, etc.

But seeing those kids in their brand-new library, realizing they are discovering a joy maybe they never knew existed...well, I'm galvanized. Donations are being accepted year round (here) and I'm due a royalty check at the end of this month. I'm going to donate the entire thing. It's not as big a deal as it sounds, but I can do without the few things it will buy me, and it will go a lot further there.

No comments: