Thursday, November 13, 2008

Retail Therapy

I read that editor blog post I linked to yesterday, and immediately had to run out and save the publishing industry. Sixty dollars won't go that far, but it's something. :)

So I'm checking out, and the clerk says something about me doing Christmas shopping. I said, "No, not yet." And she looked totally appalled. "This isn't for Christmas shopping?"

"No, it's me shopping."

*more shocked look*

I felt compelled to explain more. "It's save the publishing industry shopping."

That snapped her out of it, but I had mingled amusement and annoyance. I mean, for Pete's sake, it's only November 13th! I know that means Christmas isn't far away, but I'm one of those who doesn't do much about it until after Thanksgiving. I always try to do some last-minute shopping on Christmas Eve. For me, it's about the season, not the buying. I do full-body Christmas immersion.

But more importantly--what the heck is wrong with shopping for yourself? Maybe she didn't think I would read all the books I got (Jim Butcher's graphic novel and the new JD Robb and a new Margaret Weis Dragonlance novel plus two romances). I admit it's eclectic, and the Weis is for J, but Jim Butcher is second only to JK Rowling for my favorite author, and J and I will share that one.

Maybe I'm projecting. Maybe she wasn't really appalled, or maybe people aren't spending as much on themselves right now as I was (I've barely bought anything since National in July...but hey, why do I feel the need to explain myself?! /defense) and so maybe I just surprised her with an answer she hasn't been getting this week.

Anyway, I'm sitting in the B&N coffee shop taking a break from a delicious scene between Sam and Nick, and I really should get back to it.

Go buy some books!

8 comments:

MJFredrick said...

I bought the first book in Cindy Gerard's new series, Virgin River Christmas, and preordered Elisabeth Naughton's and one other book I can't remember.

There is NOTHING wrong with shopping for yourself! My mom teases me for going to arts and crafts shows and shopping for others, but if I get done early, then I don't feel bad shopping for myself ;)

I'm watching Jared's movie A Christmas Cottage now. It started out okay. EVERYONE'S in it, goodness! Well, everyone from 1980 era sitcoms-the housekeeper from Facts of Life, Bull from Night Court, and even Peter O'Toole.

MJFredrick said...

DUDE! I should never have said I'd catch up this weekend! WOW! 30000???? Amazing!

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

I need to get that movie! After last night's episode, I want to drown myself in Jared. :) I bumped it up my queue, but haven't returned anything in a while.

Yeah, I got kind of fed up with myself when I wrote NOTHING on Tuesday, first time that's ever happened during NaNo. I'm going for 8k today, but I'm thinking it's not gonna happen. :(

MJFredrick said...

Jared was very young in this one - probably between season 1 and 2.

8000 words??? Wow, that's a big goal! 30 pages!

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Actually, it filmed in spring of 2007, so that was between 2 and 3. Shows how much he's changed, though, in only a little over a year!

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Where did you get The Christmas Cottage? Netflix is still showing it as not yet available. :(

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Oh, and I meant to say, 30 pages didn't even come CLOSE to happening. So far, more like 5.

MJFredrick said...

I got it from Blockbuster Online. It wasn't at the store.

Wow, he did change pretty quickly. I guess he's at that age.

I just finished watching last night's Grey's. That kiss....to quote you - GUH!