Friday, August 28, 2009

Hit and Run

I have a ton of stuff to fill the rest of my day (contest judging, website proofreading, text rewriting, novel revising) but I was just catching up on e-mail. I looked at the "33 of 44" on the bottom, all 11 of which came in as I was answering earlier ones, so I don't know what they are or who they're from. There's such a feeling of anticipation, because any of those could bring good news, something exciting, or a lovely compliment.

Of course, they could also be spam from "threateninggoat.com" asking if I'm looking for the Fountain of Youth.

Does anyone else feel that way when they're checking e-mail, or am I just weird?

6 comments:

Victoria said...

I always feel that way when I'm checking email!!!
That doesn't mean it's not weird though!! LOL

LOL on threateninggoat.com!!!

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Weird is fine, as long as I'm not alone! LOL

That was an actual spam mail I received. I was like, "Yeah, like I'm gonna trust THAT." LOL

Um...aren't you supposed to be writing?

Victoria said...

I was, and I did, so it's all good!!

Weird is good, I think!

Never trust a threatening goat. They're unstable.
I got one from a woman in South Africa who said she was dying and needed to know if I would take care of transfering her money to American and then giving it to charity. Ummm...not even going to respond...

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Good for you! :)

There are a lot of variations like that now, based off the original Nigeria scam (all related to "help me get money out of the country"). Did you know that scam dates back to the 1940s?!

My favorite variant is the one that says, "Hey, did you get caught in the Nigeria scam? Here's how to get your money back!" Scamming on people who were already ripped off! How rotten is that?!

People suck.

Victoria said...

People do suck!

I rarely even read my spam mail anymore. I used to, just in case...but most of it is just how to enhance my penis size and since I don't have one of those...LOL

Natalie J. Damschroder said...

Yeah, I usually go through and delete all mine before I start reading new mail, but if they come in while I'm reading, I just keep clicking "next" and they pop up.

I don't know, maybe I'm missing a comedy goldmine here. LOL